Whether you are new to the Vegan thing or have been doing it a while, I know it can be difficult making the right choices! Thus, I’ve made a Vegan Diet Grocery List you can use! This list is good for those trying to lose weight, gain weight or maintenance.
I’ve categorized all foods (to make it easier to envision the great meals you can make with them!)
Vegan Diet Grocery List: 7 Little Known Tricks To Make Your Vegan Diet Healthier
Vegan diet tend to be very carb centric but with a few small tweaks they can be VERY healthy and nutritious! They can help you lose weight, reduce cholesterol, improve cardiovascular health and lower incidence of diabetes.
Here area few little known tricks I’ve used my vegan clients to help them make their diet healthy and nutritions!
- To ensure you are getting enough protein, add nuts and seeds to EVERYTHING! … and I really mean everything! That’s the BIGGEST trick to making sure you are getting enough protein on a vegan diet!
- Enjoy a LARGE variety of vegetables: To ensure your are getting optimal amounts of vitamins and minerals, include a large variety of vegetables. Make sure to include vegetables in our colours (green, yellow, red, orange…)
- Reduce refined grains and wheat products: One the biggest concerns with vegan diets is that they tend to be very starchy. This is because most vegans rely on refined grains like pasta and white rice for their calories intake. Try to remove all refined grains (including pasta, couscous, white rice, cereals and breads) and replace them with unrefined whole foods like sweet potatoes, squash, brown rice and quinoa.
- Stay away from processed, sugary treats: Just because the label says vegan doesn’t mean it’s good for you! Yes, I am totally talking about that Nutella!
- Log your foods: The only way to ensure you are hitting all your macros and getting adequate amount of calories for your goals is to log your food! Use an app like Fitness Pal to keep track of your meals.
- Have a plan: Start with a good meal plan! A good meal plan can help you plan out your meals ahead of time and teach you what supplements to include. I would suggest using my Vegan meal plan or you can consult with a nutritionist for a customized plan. Remember planning leads to success!
- Supplement with a quality Vega protein powder: Vegans often struggle with getting adequate amounts of protein! To hit your daily protein intake, Invest in a plant based protein powder. Some of my fave Vegan protein brands include BodyLogix Vegan Protein, Vegan and Sunwarrior. (ps. also check out my post on Vegan Protein Options)
… and now to the list!
Vegan Diet Grocery List: 50 Vegan Friendly Diet Food
This list is one that can used by all vegans! Make sure to DOWNLOAD a PDF version here!
- Vegan protein powder
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Natural Almond or Peanut butter
- Hemp hearts
- Chia seeds
- Raw nuts
- Adzuki beans
- Black beans
- White Beans
- Ives Kale Bites
- Vegan Burgers
Carbohydrates and Veggies:
- Collard Greens
- Black bean pasta
- Snow peas
- Bell peppers
- Sweet potatoes or yams
- Whole Grain Brown Rice
- Green Peas
- Gojji berries
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan (cashew/almond/ coconut) Yogurt
- Sea veggies
- Kimchi or Sauerkraut (for probiotics)
- Vegan protein bars
- Coconut oil
- Hot Sauce (..cause hot sauce goes with everything!)
- Raw flax seed