Cleansing your system: A Quick Guide (and my detox cleanse quiz!)
Is it time for cleanse? With so much toxins, pollutants and allergens in our environment, it is sometimes hard for our bodies to detoxify! Take my detox cleanse quiz bellow and read below about the benefits of cleansing your system!
Let’s start with some Science:
Our bodies for the most part are self cleansing. We have mechanisms and organs like our liver and lymphatic system that helps get rid of toxins. With that said, our bodies can definitely use a boost now and then!
Cleanses or detoxes are a great way to help our body reset itself and get rid of toxins. You should note that not all cleanses are built the same. There are herbal detoxes, nutritional (raw food) detoxes and tea detoxes amongst many others.
As far as science goes, there is some proof that certain herbs and foods can aid in cleansing and detoxing our body. However, they ONLY work in conjunction with good eating habits and a nutrition overhaul. Yupp, this mean that those gimmicky tea cleanses and detox kits do not WORK unless accompanied by a meal plan that supports a detox.
The Type OF Cleansing that WORKS!
Benefits For Doing A Nutritional Cleanse
Nutritional cleansing can jumpstart your body and allow cells and organs to function at their optimum potential. Cleansing also helps you introduce healthy, organic, and fresh foods to your diet, giving your digestive system a break while purifying your blood. Here are just a few of the rewards we reap when we keep it clean!
- Getting rid of stored waste and shedding some extra pounds
- Enhanced concentration and mental clarity
- Better energy levels right away
- Better quality of sleep
- Improved digestion and elimination
- Improved vitality (yes, I mean sex)
- Stronger immune system
- Clearer skin that glows without the bronzer
- Optimal absorption of nutrients
- Improved circulation through purifying the liver, kidney, blood
So do you need the CLEANSE?
Take my detox cleanse QUIZ below and find out! Check ALL that apply! If you check mark three or more of these symptoms, READ ON! It may be time for a cleanse!
- Cravings for carb, starches, sugar, salt and breads
- Have Bloating and gas (especially after meals!)
- Easily retain Water
- Distended lower abdomen
- Bad breath and foul body odour
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Overall lethargy, fatigue and feeling sluggish
- Dry skin, nails and hair, eczema
- Decreased libido
- Constipation and/or diarrhea (overall irregularity)
- Moodswings & PMS
- Lack of concentration
- Weakened immunity and frequent colds
- Weight gain and difficulty losing weight
What Is A Nutritional Cleanse Exactly?
Nope, it’s not just about buying some supplement and cold pressed juices! You really do have to change your diet to benefit from a cleanse! A nutritional cleanse entails eating fresh whole foods as the basis of all your meals: eating more salads, organic produce and drinking lots of fresh water throughout the day (at least 3L).
The below foods should be eliminated in order to achieve the best results during your cleanse:
- Bleached and refined flours (basically anything white!)
- Refined sugars such as high-fructose corn syrup
- Processed and packaged foods
- Coffee, cigarettes, and alcohol (yup, I did say alcohol)
- Table salt
- Trans fats and refined oils (processed corn, canola, sunflower)
- Meats treated with hormones or antibiotics, farmed fish, luncheon meats
- Foods sprayed with pesticides and herbicides
- Genetically modified foods and oils
- Dairy products
- Additives and preservatives (nitrates, sulphates, flavourings, and colourings)
- Fast foods, fried foods
- Sodas, juices with added sugar
- Tap water
Some Quick Tips For A Successful Cleanse:
- Start your day with a glass of warm water with lemon juice or mix in 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with warm water
- Invest in chlorophyll (one supplement I recommend in all my meal plans!) Chlorophyll helps detoxify your body and promotes digestive health
- Drinking a green smoothie a day (ideally in the morning!)
- Buy organic produce
- Plan to eat fresh veggies at each meal
- Plan to drink 2.5 litres of filtered water (not tap!) per day
- Switch your morning coffee with green or herbal teas that help boost metabolism
- Invest in DETOX KIT
- Get on a clean eating meal plan!
- Exercise, exercise, exercise! Sweating does wonders for getting rid of toxins!
Want a CHALLENGE to go along with your cleanse? Check my flat belly challenge!